Friday, July 25, 2008

Frugal Decorating

I finally got sick of the icky-cute ceramic puppies & geese sitting on my kitchen shelf. They were neat when I was (much) younger, but not so much anymore. SO, I decided I needed to redecorate a bit. But, what to do. My budget is super-tight, and the space in between the shelves is tiny - so what to do??

Several weeks ago, I came across some old jelly jars in my parents' basement. The jars hadn't been used in years, and they're not considered safe to use for canning anymore because they're designed for sealing with wax instead of rings and lids.

Then I had an idea - use the jars for decoration!


The jars on top are filled with pasta and popcorn; stuff I use regularly and have to store anyway. The jars in the middle are filled with silk flowers I bought at Michaels' for $0.99/stem (about $5.00 in all) and the jars were all free. The bottom posts have my hot pot mats and the "Dinner Hand" that were all wedding gifts (10+ years ago!)

I'm really enjoying the new look. Definitely nicer than the puppies and geese were.

For more frugal ideas visit Frugal Friday here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks sooo cute! And I love the price!

Anonymous said...

I have never done this but I seen were they took the clear jars filled it w/buttons & family photos. It looked really cute.
Oh yours does too.