Friday, May 9, 2008

Cooking from Scratch

I generally think of myself as someone who cooks mostly from scratch. But recently as I’ve been cutting our grocery budget, and have been reading (A LOT) about ways to be frugal/a tightwad, I’ve realized there are many recipes I make that are more “semi-homemade” (thank you Sandra Lee) than made from scratch. So today, I’m posting my current list of foods I could, but don’t, make from scratch:

* Yogurt (have a recipe, never been brave enough to try)
* Applesauce (need a recipe, possibly some instruction)
* Blueberry applesauce (my daughter’s absolute favorite)
* Cheese slices (okay, this doesn’t require a recipe, but why am I buying them wrapped in plastic???)
* Spaghetti sauce (need recipe)
* Pizza sauce (need recipe)
* Shake-n-bake chicken, especially nuggets (recently found a recipe, haven't tried yet)
* Marinated Chicken Breasts (These are family favorites that I currently buy bottled. I need to find or make a recipe for them):
* Lemon-Pepper
* Sesame-Ginger
* Sweet Vidalia Onion (Ken's salad dressing)

I will update this list from time-to-time as I find recipes I can make from scratch.

For more ideas on living frugally, check out Frugal Friday on: Biblical Womanhood.

4 comments:

Mom2fur said...

You might try checking out Tasteofhome.com or Allrecipes.com for your recipes. I also like supercook.com. My favorite thing about these sites is that they offer ingredient searches which help you use up some of the things in your fridge or pantry--a great way to be frugal!

Anonymous said...

I have a recipe that is like bisquik. It makes muffins, biscuits & pancakes. Really yummy.

Anonymous said...

Just checking to see if you recieved the recipe for the baking mix?

Melanie said...

Steph's Country Kitchen has a fantasic pizza sauce recipe. (The Enchilada sauce is pretty great too.)
http://www.stephskitchen.com/rec166.htm
My family loves Rachel Ray's Spaghetti Sauce recipe http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/sunday-gravy-and-macaroni-spaghetti-really-recipe/index.html

I generally make it meatless.

Hope this helps