Friday, May 16, 2008

Frugal Snacks


My daughter LOVES popcorn for a snack. For a long time I was going to BJs and buying big boxes of microwavale popcorn bags (and thinking I was saving money by buying in bulk at BJs). About a month ago, I ran out and didn't have a chance to get to BJs. As I was digging around in the cabinet trying to find a snack she would find suitable I realized I still had a jar of popcorn kernels, and I have a microwave popcorn bowl (which I'd found for free at a yard sale). So, I started popping kernels in the microwave in our own bowl. Why did I buy the bags for so long? - purely convenience. It takes maybe 2 minutes to prep a bowl of popcorn and 2 minutes to wash it out when we're done. So for 4 minutes time I was wasting how much money on convenience? I haven't done the math yet, but I'm sure using kernels is much cheaper than the bags.

For more ideas for living frugally go to Crystal's blog: here

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Could you please share your recipe. Does it need oil and how much popcorn did you put in? I know that might sound silly.:o) Thanks for the frugal snack.
~Yvette

SH said...

I have done it with and without oil. The salt sticks better if you use oil. When I don't use oil then I melt margarine or butter to drizzle over it. I use about 1 Tablespoon of oil and 1/3 Cup of popcorn. This bowl was specific for microwaving popcorn, but I think any microwavable bowl with a lid would work (so you don't have popcorn all over your microwave).

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the recipe.
~Yvette

Gina @ MoneywiseMoms said...

What's a microwave popcorn bowl? I use a brown lunch sack (TRULY frugal!) and just fill the bottom of the bag with kernels. It's plain (no oil/butter) but very healthy and then you can add whatever you like. My kids like a little Parmesan cheese on top.