Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Walgreens -- Frustrating trip


I just can't seem to make Walgreens work well for me. There's just too much fine print that messes up a good deal. I went today planning to buy 2 packs of Zantac and use those Register Rewards to buy the Venus razors, each item in a separate deal. Then I would use the RRs from the razors to purchase the P&G items that were on sale. The beginning of this worked fine. I bought the Zantac and rolled the RRs and used a $4/1 coupon to buy the Venus Razors. However, from there it was rather frustrating.

I had a bunch of P&G coupons from newspaper inserts, so the P&G sale looked really good. I spent a long time last night figuring out which items were 1) on sale (2/$5.00), 2) I had coupons for and 3) that we would use. I even thought I might get a little bit of profit from it. The problem is that the Venus razors are also a P&G product, so I couldn't use the RRs from the razors to help pay for the cleaning supplies and toothpaste. So, my last transaction ended up costing me $20.00 and I got $20.00 back in RRs. I went ahead and did it because it gave me all these cleaning supplies basically for free.

In all today at Walgreens, I spent $34.40 Out-of-Pocket, spent $6.00 RRs I'd earned today, and netted $32.00 RRs. I think this all means the trip cost me $2.40. Not bad really, but the real trick will be making sure I find things to spend it on in the next several weeks -- preferrably, things we will actually use and not just things that are on sale!

No comments: