Friday, September 26, 2008

Frugal Smart & Frugal Dumb

So, last Tuesday, I started the day extremely well. I'd read here about a great deal on granola bars at Safeway. (More details on my purchase here.) I bought over 10 boxes of granola bars, paid $7.00 out-of-pocket for all of them and got back a $3.50 catalina for my next purchase. For the record, that's $0.70 for a box of 12 granola bars or $0.06/bar!) Then, I left town ... with 120 VERY inexpensive granola bars in my car. Frugal Smart!

I drove an hour away to my dad's to help him at his house. After I arrived and had spent about an hour working on various tasks, I realized I forgot to bring lunch with me. So I opted to go to the 7-11 down the street and get a drink and a small snack to tide me over. (You know what's coming don't you?) Well, I'm wandering around the store wondering what to get, when I spotted granola bars - "Hey, I like granola bars, granola bars are healthy!" So, I grabbed a pack of 2 granola bars, a bottle of soda and went to the register.

Yep. You guessed it. I bought that pack of 2 granola bars at 7-11. In fact, I paid a whopping $0.40/each for those 2 granola bars. It didn't occur to me that this was a ridiculous thing to do until I got back in my car and spotted the 10 boxes sitting happily on my car seat. Unfortunately, I'd already bitten into one of the granola bars.

DUH!! Frugal DUMB!

I cannot begin to tell you how completely dumb I felt at that moment. I am an intelligent, usually-money-conscious, college educated woman. But, I threw all that out the window for a few moments and paid $.80 for 2 granola bars.

For better ideas on frugal living visit Frugal Friday at Biblical Womanhood.

6 comments:

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

Great deal on the granola bars! Sorry to hear you forgot.

Have a great day!
Sherry
Frugal Friday - Yellow Cake From Scratch

Blooming said...

Did you get 80¢ of education out of the experience? That's what I alway ask myself whenever I make a frugal mistake. If it was a big thing, like buying a $10 item that wasn't the variety that was on sale, I will take it back. If it is a small thing, I ask myself if I have learned from the mistake. It sounds like you learned from yours! ;)

Mom2fur said...

LOL--proving once again you should never shop when hungry! Hey, don't beat yourself up. Like Kayleighjean says, it's worth it for the learning experience.

Jerralea said...

I had to smile at this; sounds like something I'd do!

SH said...

I definitely got 80¢ of education. Maybe even more!

Anonymous said...

Your dad must have had a lot for you to do to forget about the bars you already bought.